How to Avoid Summer Camp Pest Travelers – from Tri-County Pest Control
School’s out and summer’s here and that can mean one thing for many kids – summer camp! However, sending
your children away for a week or two of outdoor adventure can also lead to a huge headache once they return (and not for the reasons you may be thinking.)
In fact, summer sleep away camps can be hotbeds for bed bugs. These wily critters can stow away in sleeping cabins and luggage – in addition to having myriads of youthful campers to prey on.
Therefore, our Tri-County Pest Control team put together some tips you can enact in order to prevent any bed bugs from traveling home with your child or children:
- Before your kids even head off to camp, inquire if the camp has ever experienced a bed bug issue.
- Teach your children how to inspect their own beds, as well as any camp roommates they may have.
- Have them inspect behind the headboard, as well as any chairs that may be in the room.
- Send them off with a plastic trash in which to store their luggage so any bed bugs cannot set up shop in their belongings.
- Once they arrive home, immediately vacuum their suitcase before stowing it.
- Wash all of their clothes – even if they haven’t worn some of then – in hot water to make sure bed bugs that may have made it back home do not get any further. Additionally, dry the clothes on high heat as well.
- If you do suspect a bed bug infestation, call us here at Tri-County. Our service reps are armed, equipped and ready with a solution that suits your needs.
Taking these few simple steps should keep nasty bed bugs at bay. A little time and effort will go a long way.
Happy summer camping!