Do-It-Yourself Tips That Work
One great thing about the Internet is that it can teach you to do just about anything, from building a birdhouse to learning the treadmill dance to Ok Go’s “Here It Goes Again”, just about anything can be done. But the question needs to be asked: Are these guides reliable? Sure, you can find pest control guides all around, but not all of them will garner results. Instead, join us today as we go over some DIY pest control tips that really work!
In The Kitchen
The kitchen can be the source of many pests in your home, as they love to come in for a quick and easy meal. By doing some simple upkeep, you can help prevent pests from entering in the first place:
- Use a trash can with a lid
- Placed any leftover food into airtight containers and clean up any food scraps that may be lying around
- Rinse out recyclable containers before putting them in the bin
- Clean out drains periodically—fruit flies love to hide in there and come out once they smell rotting fruit
- De-clutter as much as you can—many pests see clutter and messes as great spots to hide in
- Make sure that there are no cracks or crevices leading to the outside, and if there are, be sure to seal them with caulk
Now since the simple preparations are done, how should you tackle an infestation on your own?
The first thing you have to do is determine what kind of pest it is, as some you can handle on your own, but others you should call in a service. If you see rodents, cockroaches, termites, or spiders, it would probably be best to let the professionals handle it.
For critters like ants, you can use a simple solution of water and essential oils to ward them out of your kitchen. Since these pests mainly operate by sense of smell, the scent of peppermint or spearmint essential oil will overpower their senses, leaving them without any means to search for food to sustain the colony. Another things you can do with ants is to lay coffee grounds around the places where you see them travel for the same effect. Regardless, if the ants keep coming back, then maybe it’s time to call in the professionals, so that they get rid of the pests you can’t readily see.
You already know that you need to be careful of what you see on the Internet (as some of it is not true) and pest control is certainly one of them.
What is definitely true is the superior service that Tri-County Pest Control delivers, no matter the job. Big or small, long or short, we know that it’s the service after the sale that counts.
Give us a call today for a free estimate!